Adorned with crystal clear lakes, alpine meadows, apple orchards, gondolas, and boathouses, Jammu and Kashmir is indeed a paradise on earth. With places or attractions like Vaishno Devi Temple, Gulmarg, Leh, Srinagar, Pahalgam, Sonmarg, etc. the destination leaves no stone unturned to amaze its visitors. Whether you are planning a honeymoon, a family vacation, or a solo trip, this destination makes a perfect pick. Activities like horseback riding, trekking, camping, skiing, hiking, etc. offer vacationers a complete dose of enjoyment. From enjoying a Gondola ride in Gulmarg to admiring the beauty of Srinagar on a Shikara, you will get to enjoy numerous surreal experiences here. Here we have enlisted some of the best places that you can add to your Jammu & Kashmir package.
5 Best Tourist Places in Jammu & Kashmir
Planned a Jammu & Kashmir tour already? Here are some mesmerising places that you must include in your itinerary. From indulging in adventurous activities to enjoying sightseeing, there are numerous cheshible experiences you can enjoy here.
1. Gulmarg: One of the most popular skiing destinations, Gulmarg sits at an elevation of around 8,500 feet above sea level. During summers, the valley is adorned with colourful flowers like bluebells and daisies, etc. whereas, in winters, the destination is covered in snow which makes a perfect time to indulge in snow activities like snowboarding, skiing, and sledging. If you wish to enjoy snowfall and indulge in winter sports, make sure to plan your trip in December or January.
Famous for: Skiing, snow activities, trekking, adventure
Things to do: Play golf at Gulmarg Golf Course, ski around Apharwat Peak, take a Gondola ride
Major attractions: Gulmarg Gondola, Gulmarg Biosphere Reserve, Apharwat Peak
2. Srinagar: Positioned at an altitude of around 5675 ft. above sea level, Srinagar is famous for scintillating gardens, Shikara rides, waterfronts, and apple orchards. You can start your sightseeing by enjoying a Shikara ride at Dal Lake that further takes you to attractions like the floating market, Golden Dal Lake, Meena Bazar, and Nehru Garden. Besides this, you can also go birdwatching at Manasabal Lake or indulge in a houseboat stay for a day or two. To complete a Srinagar trip, you must go shopping buy some traditional items like a Pashmina shawl, walnut wood items, papier mache artifacts, Kashmiri tea, copperware, and more.
Famous for: Houseboat, gardens, adventurous activities
Things to do: Take a Shikara ride, visit Mughal gardens, stay in a houseboat
Major attractions: Nigeen Lake, Shalimar Bagh Mughal Garden, Indira Gandhi Memorial Tulip Garden, and Nishat Bagh
3. Vaishno Devi Temple: Situated in Trikuta Hills in Katra, Vaishno Devi Temple is one of the most popular hindu pilgrim sites. The temple lies altitude of 5200 ft above sea level and is dedicated to Goddess Mahalakshmi. Vaishno Devi Temple is touted as an important Shaktipeeth. Inside the cave, you can witness the goddess in the form of 3 rock heads, also known as Pindis. In order to reach the temple, you need to trek 13 km from Kartra that is the base. If you want to ditch trekking, you can opt for helicopter services, palanquin or pony rides.
Famous for: Three significant stone structures called Pindies
Things to do: Visit Ardh Kuwari Cave, climb Bhairavnath Temple, trek to Deva Mai
Major attractions: NA
4. Sonmarg: Located at an altitude of around 8,957 ft. in the Ganderbal district of Jammu and Kashmir, Sonmarg is blessed with emerald meadows, mountain lakes, magnificent glaciers, and breathtaking views to die for. Popularly called the ‘Meadow of Gold”, this destination features an enticing stream of colourful flowers. The destination is surrounded by the great Himalayan glaciers including Kolhoi Glacier and Machoi glacier. So, while opting for the Jammu and Kashmir package, make sure to add Sonmarg to your itinerary.
Famous for: Lakes, adventure opportunities, nature walks, scenic views
Things to do: Trekking, white river rafting, camping
Major attractions: Baltal Valley, Krishnasar Lake, Thajiwas Glacier, Vishansar Lake, Zoji-La Pas
5. Pahalgam: Your Jammu & Kashmir tour cannot be complete without a visit to Pahalgam. Lying at an altitude of about 7,200 ft, Pahalgam is one of the best places to enjoy the adventure in Kashmir. Additionally, the destination also allows you to witness the confluence of the Sheshnag and Liddar rivers. You can visit Chandanwari to witness the snow-clad mountains or enjoy some relaxing time at Pahalgam Golf Course.
Famous for: Valleys, adventure opportunities, scenic views, base camp for famous trekking routes
Things to do: Trout Fishing, camping, river rafting, horse riding
Major attractions: Betab Valley, Baisaran Hills, and Pahalgam Golf Course.
Now when you know about the best places to visit in Jammu and Kashmir, plan a trip with your loved ones soon and indulge in some memorable experience. Don’t forget to check out the best Jammu & Kashmir packages offered by TravelTriangle. Since the packages are customisable, you can make changes in as per your requirements.