“Leave management” means employees request a day off from work and supervisors, HR managers, admin, or higher authority grant or deny leave based on HR policies in an organization. This activity looks simple but with the many people on staff, it becomes daunting, messy, and more complex as well. Managing leave is one of the critical HR activities, often taking over a significant part of the HR team’s time. HR must ensure payroll with leave policies, the supply of sufficient staff at all times, and also to make sure employee satisfaction.
In a small team, it’s not required. However, leave management software requires processes used to manage any leave requests and track absenteeism in medium to big-scale enterprises.
How Can You Manage Employee Leave?
It is HR’s responsibility to manage employee leaves. If the leave management process is ineffective then it should be maintained well with some options.
These are some common scenarios, where the leaves are not managed well:
- The project manager doesn’t know about employees are available at work or if they are on vacation.
- Take instant leave without prior information.
- Delayed project completion because of employees’ unplanned leaves.
- Employees become unsatisfied because of the undefined leave policy.
- Ineffective leave management can harm the business growth of the company.
- Ineffective leave management can harm the productivity of employees.
- The leave management process is taking a crucial place and makes a significant financial impact on a company’s profits. Employers are therefore always trying to find effective, paperless solutions for removing errors.
Unauthorized leave, lack of your time and leave planning, and reduced productive times can cause damage to the general efficiency of the company.
By taking these actions you can manage leaves effectively:
- Make a leave policy for your organization.
- Communicate with employees to discuss leave policy.
- Consider compliance laws.
- Be empathetic for your employees.
- Integrate leave management with the payroll system.
- Use automated leave management software.
Best Practices To Do In Leave Management
Leave management has some hurdles if it is not managed effectively. It becomes a real mess for HR managers without a proper system in place. It can cause employee dissatisfaction, and may also cause legal complications.
1. Make Crystal And Clear Policy
Your leave policy should be easy, clear and easy to implement, and versatile. Leave policy should include such information as:
- Types of leaves
- Clock in time and out criteria
- How company deducts leave time
- Holidays your company offer
- How company calculates PTO accrual
- What happens to remain leaves after a year
- The culture of the company also plays a role in your leave policy, so make certain to incorporate that culture into your guidelines by HR.
2. Provide 24*7 Help And Support
If any queries arise under the guidance of the leave policy of your creation, just do communicate, clear them and promote updates and consistency within the policy.
Leave management policies are meant to evolve so allow employees to try or check once. Make the changes if any query arises and then edit if requires. You can find other ways to improve what you have created already.
3. Evaluate And Update The System Regularly
Standard procedure and policy should be refined as per the accuracy, transparency, accuracy, and employee trust. When requires, do changes and communicate with the employees to get them updated.
One of the easiest ways to do this is to announce it online when you need to tell all the employees in the office. Be sure to include information about the leave policy.
4. Prefer Automation In Leave Management Process
All-in-one software of leave management in HRMS allows you to customize all processes as per your organization, help convenience employees, and consider the clarity. Once you’ve got leave policies in place, just consider the standard of procedure and incorporate this information into the software.
You can select to provide access to the leave program details and ensure employees if you are adopting software just like UBS.
5. Get Help From Outside
Leave management is subject to rules and regulations, so keeping yourself compliant with the laws is vital. To manage leaves effectively it is needed. To use these terms to your advantage, check before you make any policy.
6. Know The Law & Compliance
Many laws regarding leave management and payroll differ from city to city, state to state, and even industry to industry. So make sure that your leave management system should be legal, and consult an attorney who is well-versed in laws that apply to your business. However to make it possible know what are the laws whether they are local or not.
No matter how well you plan, you won’t get all correct exactly right the first time. During the preparation phase, you’ll be sure that a certain policy is right for both your business and your team. But when the policy is in situ just apply its software.
How To Automate Leave Management With Software?
A leave management software that automates every step of leave management. From making policy to applying for leaves, leave balance checks, approval/rejection of leaves, and reporting from anywhere or from any device. The automation can save plenty of time and energy by ensuring that every process is one-click, whether checking for employees’ past data or ensuring enough resource availability at any point in time. It doesn’t stop here.
Your leave management software must include other add-ons like:
1. All-In-One Dashboard:
This is necessary where your employees get everything on one screen. They will be ready to check their leave balance and other people’s time off. HR and line managers should even be able to view this data for all employees.
2. Configurable Fields Of Leave Management:
When the industry change it requires changing everything. So, leave policy, holiday list, and types should simply customize the platform.
3. Timesheet Management:
It is required that HR can track employees’ productivity and pay them fairly as per their timings.
4. Integrated With Payroll:
The automation leave management software should be integrated with payroll in order to pay them fairly and on time as well. Even though it is a matter of seconds, this should be fair only.
5. Analytics And Reports:
Necessary for all the budget reports showing demands, approvals, and rejection of leaves, for every employee and also for the company.
Features of the Leave Management Software
- Auto updated leave balance in order to reduce manual work and it can save time.
- Enables higher authority to manage everything in a seamless way. It is cloud-based so helps to store data in one place.
- It provides seamless integration with every kind of system and other modules such as attendance, payroll, timesheet, etc.
- It helps to make versatile and customized leave policies.
- It has employee self-service and removes most of the manual work.
- It has all one dashboard and mobile compatibility to check all the data.
- It has data analytics and helps to improve decision-making.
Get Efficient Leave Management Software
A leave management software can automate leave management processes, make them more efficient, and transparent to employees and HR, and improve collaboration on them. However, the implementation of a user-friendly leave management system requires expertise. As per that, UBS has several years of experience in providing leave management as SaaS, you’ll lift this burden off your shoulders. Check the UBS website for checking other features and book a demo for a free trial.