OST and PST files are the two types of data files used by Microsoft Outlook. PST files contain data stored in personal folders, whereas OST files contain data downloaded from an offline Exchange Server. If you want to copy your offline data to another computer, either set up your email client to connect to the server and create a new OST file, or OST to PST conversion using OST to PST converter a Best Tool.
OST vs. PST in Outlook
The OST (offline storage table) file, which is used by Microsoft Exchange Server, is an offline Outlook Data File that allows users to work with mail data even when the mail server is unavailable. OST files provide users with the option of storing a local copy of all mail data on their computer, with these items being automatically synced folders when access to the mail server is restored.
PST, or personal storage table (.pst), is a Microsoft Outlook Data File that stores user data for POP3, IMAP, and web-based email accounts. Emails, email attachments, events, journals, contacts, and other items in the folders are all included in these files. MS Outlook uses these PST files in all of its versions. These files were saved in ANSI format in earlier versions of Outlook, but later versions (from Outlook 2003 onwards) save the PST file in Unicode format.
What are The Benefits of OST to PST Conversion in Outlook 2016?
Let’s look at some of the reasons why people convert OST files to PST files.
- Exchange Server can crash at any time, displaying errors and rendering mail data inaccessible.
- Users must import an OST file into Outlook to access it during server downtime and maintenance.
- This procedure can be used to recover all of the mail data on the Exchange Server.
- While syncing, OST files may become corrupted, rendering the. ost file inaccessible.
- When you’re working, you’re bound to make some mistakes. This process can help you overcome that.
In Outlook 2016, How do I Convert an OST File to a PST File?
One must convert Outlook OST to PST file format in order to access Outlook data files without any issues. You can use the manual methods listed below to help you.
Method 1: Make use of the Import/Export Wizard
Exporting OST files to PST files is one of the most reliable methods. It’s one of the most effective ways to OST to PST conversion in Outlook 2016. You can do so by following these steps:
- Open Microsoft Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, or an older version.
- Select the ‘Import & Export’ option from the ‘File’ menu in the menu bar.
- Select ‘Export to a File from the ‘Import and Export Wizard’ that appears.
- Then, from the list of options, choose ‘Outlook data file (PST)’.
- Make sure that the checkbox next to “Include subfolders” is checked, then click Finish.
- Once your mailbox data is available in PST format, it will be transferred or moved to another location on your computer.
Method 2: Using the Archiving Technique
By converting OST mailbox folders to PST file format, Outlook makes it easier for users to archive data. It also allows you to expand the size of your Outlook mailbox. The following steps can be followed to complete the process:
- Open the Microsoft Outlook program.
- Select ‘Archive’ from the ‘File menu.
- Choose the folder(s) or file(s) you want to archive.
- Select a location on your computer for archival storage.
- Now press the ‘Finish’ button.
Method 3: Drag and Drop items into the Mailbox
One of the best ways to move data from an OST file to an Outlook PST is to drag and drop mailbox items from the OST to the PST file format. To do so, open Outlook and create a blank PST file, then drag and drop the items you want from the OST mailbox into the newly created PST file.
However, there are some drawbacks to using the drag and drop method. You’ll have to go through the process again for each piece of mail that needs to be moved to the PST mailbox. This is a time-consuming process that must be carried out with extreme caution because a single mistake could result in data corruption.
Manual Methods Have Limitations
Manual methods, on the other hand, are beneficial to users in a variety of ways. However, they do have limitations, which are as follows:
- Changing the inbox, contacts, and calendars to PST format is difficult.
- To reorganize the data, users may need to create a new Outlook data file.
- It’s possible that individual file conversion will take longer.
- A minor blunder can result in data corruption and loss.
Using the OST to PST Converter
These manual methods may be effective for some users, but they may not be helpful for others. As a result, they have a different option. They can use a professional Tool for OST to PST Conversion in this situation. This is one of the most trustworthy and proven methods for converting OST to PST in Outlook 2016. This software also focuses on data integrity to prevent data loss. The following are some of the more advanced features of this OST to PST Converter:
- All Outlook mailbox data, including emails, calendars, contacts, and other items, is repaired and restored.
- There are no restrictions on the size of PST files that can be recovered.
- PST, MBOX, MSG, DBX, and EML are just a few of the output file formats.
- Outlook PST files can be encrypted or password-protected.
- The fast scanning mode allows you to scan files quickly.
- It has an intuitive user interface that makes it easier to use for newcomers.
- Strongly compatible with MS Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003, and 2002, among other versions.
The blog details all of the available options for converting OST to PST Outlook 2016 in the most efficient manner. There were manual methods that did not cost anything but required extreme caution and took a long time. Those without that kind of time can use a professional OST to PST Converter. I hope this article proves useful to anyone looking for a simple way to convert an OST file to a PST file without deleting or rebuilding it. Thank you for taking the time to read this blog.