QuickBooks desktop application has two modes: the single-user mode and the multi-user mode. Sometimes, while trying to switch QuickBooks from single-user mode to multi-user mode, users encounter QuickBooks error H505. The error comes up on the screen with a message, “This company file is on another computer, and QuickBooks needs some help connecting.” The error occurs when the Windows firewall blocks the multi-user connection to the host computer. Let us discuss the primary causes behind QuickBooks multi-user error H505 along with its troubleshooting techniques.
Fed up with QuickBooks error H505? We got you. Call us on our customer support number +1 800-579-9430 and consult the certified QuickBooks expert’s team for immediate assistance
Main causes of QuickBooks Company File Error H505
Numerous reasons provoke multi-user errors in QuickBooks. The most common of them are listed below:
- Damaged or corrupted QuickBooks network data file.
- Misconfigured Hosting setup.
- QuickBooks folder is damaged or corrupted.
Given below are the troubleshooting tricks and techniques to resolve the error.
Step-by-Step Methods to Fix QuickBooks Desktop error H505
Method 1. Setup correct hosting on computers
The host computer should be the only one hosting the company file. Any changes to it can provoke multi-user in QuickBooks.
- Open QuickBooks where error H505 encounters.
- Instead of opening the company file, go to the File menu and choose Utilities.
- If the Host Multi-User Access option is visible, this workstation is not causing the error.
- Shift to another workstation and again select the File menu.
- Click the Stop Hosting Multi-User Access option.
- After repeating the same process on all workstations, move to your server computer. This system is the one that hosts the company files.
- Open QuickBooks, then go to the File menu.
- Choose Utilities and select the Host Multi-User Access option.
If the error continues, proceed to the next method.
Method 2. Run Qbdbmgrn on the server computer from the QuickBooks Tool Hub
The QuickBooks Database Server Manager is the one that lets users share the company file over the network. Any issue with it can trigger the error. To fix this, download and install QuickBooks Tool Hub on the server computer and then run the server manager:
- Close company files and quit QuickBooks Desktop.
- Get the latest version of QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Save the QuickBooks Tool Hub setup file to Download.
- Open the Downloads folder and then the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file.
- Start installing the tool hub by following the on-screen steps.
- Before proceeding, make sure the agree to the terms and conditions checkbox is selected.
- Once the installation completes, move to desktop and double-click the QuickBooks Tool Hub icon.
- Open the QuickBooks Tool Hub and choose Network Issues.
- Click QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- When the server manager opens, click Start Scan if your company file folder is visible.
- If you don’t find it, Browse to the company file location and then click Start Scan.
- Wait until the server manager repairs firewall permissions.
- Start QuickBooks and switch it to Multi-user mode.
If you still get the same error message, move on to the next method.
Note :- QuickBooks update error occur when you are trying to open or updating QuickBooks Desktop. This error appeared in several types.
Method 3. Verify QuickBooks services on the host computer
The error might trigger if any of the QuickBooks services are not running on the server computer. To check this, follow the steps given below:
- On the host computer, click the Windows icon.
- Within the search, write Run and hit Enter.
- Now, within the Run dialog box, write ‘services.msc’ and hit Enter.
- From the list, click QuickBooksDBXX, where XX is the QuickBooks version.
- From the Startup Type drop-down list, choose Automatic.
- Ensure the Service status either shows Running or Started. If not, choose Start.
- Go to the Recovery tab and then from the Restart the Service drop-down menus, select First failure, Second failure, and Subsequent failure.
- To save the changes, click Apply and then OK.
- Perform the same set of instructions for QBCF Monitor Service.
- Open QuickBooks and switch it to multi-user mode.
Try to open the company file. If the error continues, try the next method.
Method 4. Use the ping command to check connectivity between the server and the workstation
As the connectivity issues between the server computer and the workstation is a primary cause behind the error, follow these steps and ping the server from the workstation :
- Click the Windows Start menu on your server computer and the workstation.
- Within the search, type ‘network’ and then choose Network and Sharing Center.
- Choose Change advanced sharing settings.
- Move to the Network Discovery and File and Printer sharing sections and mark the Turn on network discovery option.
- Now, to know your server name:
- Click the Start menu on your server computer.
- Open the Run window by pressing Windows and R keys.
- Within the Run window, type ‘CMD’ and hit Enter.
- Write ‘ipconfig/all’ in the CMD window and tap Enter.
- Copy the name adjacent to the Host Name. It is your server name.
- Move to your workstation and click the Windows icon.
- Open the Run dialog box, within it write CMD the Run window, then hit Enter.
- Type ‘ping servername’ and hit Enter.
- Follow the same procedure on all workstations getting the error.
If none of the above methods work, follow the next one.
Method 5. Get the newest QuickBooks Desktop update
- Close company files and quit QuickBooks Desktop.
- Select the Windows Start menu and look for the QuickBooks Desktop icon.
- Choose Run as administrator.
- When the No Company Open screen arises, select the Help menu and then Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- Select the Options menu, click Mark All, and then the Save button.
- Choose the Update Now menu and mark the Reset Update checkbox.
- Click Get Updates to start downloading the update file.
- Once the update completes, reopen QuickBooks and start installing the update.
- Restart your computer once the install completes.
We are hopeful that the troubleshooting solutions discussed in the blog will help you fix QuickBooks error H505. However, if it doesn’t help, contact the QuickBooks technical support team by calling us on our toll-free number +1 800-579-9430.