Application security is known to outline security measures, at an application level. Their main aim is to prevent the code from being hacked or stolen. In a way it is known to encompass the security considerations that is going to occur during the application stage and design. It is going to involve approaches and systems to protect apps that is being deployed.
Application security may go on to include hardware, software or procedures that minimize security vulnerabilities. An example is a router that prevents anyone from viewing the IP address from the internet is a form of application security module. Even the security measures at an application level are formulated into the software like an application firewall that keeps a tab on the activities that are prohibited and encouraged. The procedures could enthral an application security routine that is going to include protocols like regular testing. In short application security is the process where you incorporate various forms of security features with an application to prevent any form of security vulnerabilities against threats like unauthorized access or modification.
The reasons why application security is important
The application security in the modern era is important, as applications are connected over various networks and evolve into cloud. Hence it is important to have a tab over the security at a network level but even with the application themselves. A reason could be that the hackers are going after the apps with their attacks more than before. An application security is known to detect threats at an application level that prevents such form of attacks.
The types of application security
There are different types of application security and developers may end up using code applications to reduce security vulnerabilities
- Authentication- The moment software developers formulate a procedure on to an application; they make sure that only authorized users gain access to it. It basically requires a user to verify who they are. The process can be accomplished by asking a user to mention their name and their password when they are logging into an application. Apart from that multi- factor authentication can be a technique. It is a process where apart from the system you need to verify on your mobile device too.
- Authorization- Once a user has been authenticated, the user may be authorized to use the application. The system may be able to validate, whether a user has permission to access it where it compares the identity of the user with a list of intended users. The stage is something that can take place before authorization so that the application credentials match with the one that is mentioned on the list.
- Encryption- the moment the above methods of verification are offer we approach the encryption stage. This goes on to ensure that the sensitive data is not at all seen by the cyber – criminal. When it is a cloud-based application, when the traffic is generating sensitive data, it is going to travel between the user and the cloud. So, it is necessary that the data has to be encrypted to keep it safe.
- Logging- If there is any form of security breach in an application, logging can give you an idea on who got access to the data, and in which manner. An application log file from Appsealing provides a stamped record of which aspects of an application were accessed by whom and when.
- Application security testing- this is a necessary process to understand that all security controls function in an optimum manner.
The application security present in the cloud
The application security that is part of the cloud does pose significant challenges. Since the cloud environment are known to provide shared resources, special care is to be taken that the users should be having access to only those data that they are intended to view as part of the cloud network solutions. In a cloud-based application data is transferred from an internet to a user to an application and back.
Mobile application security
Mobile devices are known to transfer and receive information across the internet in comparison to a private network. An enterprise can use a virtual network and incorporate a layer of a mobile security application for their employees who end up logging on to their applications in a remote manner. The IT departments are also known to vet the mobile apps and makes sure that they conform to the company security policies to be using them on specific mobile devices and then establish connection to the proper network.
Web application security
Web application security is applicable to the web applications. It relates to the apps or services that uses a browser over a remote network on the internet. Since web applications tends to extend on remote servers, the information to and fro from the internet is something that can be transmitted. Web application security is of particular concern to the businesses that is known to host web application servers. Such business often ends up protecting their intrusion from a web application firewall.
More about application security controls
An application security control relies on techniques to detect issues with applications at the coding level. Hence it is less vulnerable to threats. Many of the protocols are related to how an application is going to respond if an unexpected input from a cyber- criminal could end up harming the device. It is necessary for a programmer to be writing the program application code in such a way that they have more control over the expected inputs. An example is fuzzing that is a form of application security measure where developers are known to test the expected values in an unexpected manner that could open up a security hole.
Application developers are known to undertake application security controls as part of the testing process. The moment an application passes the audit it has to be mentioned that only authorized users are able to witness it. When it is penetration testing the developer thinks on the lines of a cyber- criminal.