Do you have wasp nests on your property? Well, a single wasp buzzing around your home is just a nuisance. If you are thinking “How to get rid of small wasp nests?” Then, the best option is to call a local wasp inspection and removal team. Moreover, if you wish to try removing the wasp nest alone, do not forget to wear protective clothing and a helmet. In this blog, you will gain information on 10 Tips To Know Before Wasp Removal. Let’s begin:
10 Tips To Know Before Wasp Removal
Make sure you are non-allergic to wasps
If you are unsure about whether or not you are allergic to insects, it’s nicer to perform an allergic test with your doctor. If the test shows you are not allergic to wasp stings, you can start removing the wasp nest on your own, otherwise, you need to take help from a professional wasp exterminator.
Appoint a professional
Generally, it is preferable to appoint a wasp controller than handle the nest on your own. In case the wasp nest is in a hard-to-reach place, like inside two walls or below the deck, hiring a professional is worth it. Moreover, as wasps may sting if you try going close to them, it is ideal to let the certified wasp removalist do the work for you. Why risk yourself with deadly stings when you can simply recruit a budget-friendly pest control in Geelong.
Leave the wasp alone
If the wasp nest is very far from your property that it is not posing any serious threat, you must leave it alone. Especially, in case it is a nest of less aggressive wasp species- the paper wasps. Furthermore, wasps are an important element in the ecosystem as they help in the pollination of flowers and plants. They eat tiny pests like caterpillars.
Check what kind of wasp nest your place has
Before starting to remove the nest, do check the kind of wasps it has. Knowing the wasp species can help you a lot in the removal of wasp nests. Below is a list of three common wasp species found infesting human-friendly places:
- Paper Wasps: These wasps have long bodies and legs as compared to other wasp species. They usually make large nests where the combs are generally viewable. Moreover, their nests resemble upside-down umbrellas.
- Yellow Jackets: These have short legs and black antennas. They moreover like to hide in wall cavities and gaps as well as their stings are painful and slightly dangerous for humans. Nearing them can turn out to be an emergency for you.
- Hornets: Hornets are one of the largest kinds of social wasps. Some hornets have white marks on their bodies whereas some have brown and orange bodies. Moreover, hornets mostly make nests in wall cavities and tree trunks.
Arrange and wear safety clothes
It is really important to put on protective clothes while trying the wasp nest removal. To avoid wasp stings, check out what type of clothes are preferred while handling wasp nest removal:
- Boots, socks, long jeans, full sleeves sweater, cap and gloves.
- Do not forget to wrap a cloth or scarf around your mouth and wear sunglasses.
- In case you want to use pesticides, try wearing old clothes. Moreover, after using pesticides, wash hands immediately and dispose of the clothes.
If still you got stung by a wasp(s) immediately seek medical aid.
Avoid using a ladder to reach the nest
If you use a ladder and climb up to remove wasp nests from a height, the wasp may attack back and the chance of you falling is more. So, in such a case, it is ideal to speak to a professional wasp treatment expert and appoint a wasp removal service. Only try wasp removal if the nest location is easily approachable.
Keep pets and kids away from the treatment zone
While working with sprays and powder for wasps, you must ensure there is no one except you in the treatment zone. Ask your kids to remain away and lock your pets in the house while you or a professional is performing wasp nest removal. As pesticides and sprays used during fumigation may be inhaled by your child and lead to severe headaches or breathing problems. Furthermore, always ensure to remove all the dead wasps after the treatment(if any). If you call professional wasp removal experts, they will ensure no signs of wasps are left out after service.
Remove wasp nesting as soon as possible
- In spring, queen wasps choose a place and build a nest. Once the entry of worker wasps starts, the nests get bigger and bigger.
- Wasps continue to expand in summers and springs and start to stop during August month.
So, it’s best to get rid of queen wasps as soon as possible. And it can only happen if you stay attentive. Luckily, you can schedule a wasp inspection service at regular intervals to ensure no chances of wasps on your property.
Damage the nest at night
If you are thinking about when to get rid of wasp nests, then the answer is to do it when the wasps are very less active i.e at night. It is suggested not to use torches to approach nests as this may disturb them. So, try destroying wasp nests in dim light. Simply go near it and spray it through with the pesticide. The next morning you can check if there is no activity, you can simply remove the wasp nest and clean the affected area.
The escape plan
It is better to plan an exit route before damaging the wasp nest. As soon as you spray, the wasp will come out to attack in defense. In that time, you can use your escape plan and be safe. Also, ensure no hurdles in your escape route such as toys, plants, etc.
Conclusion: Tips To Know Before Wasp Removal
By following the easy 10 Tips To Know Before Wasp Removal, you can remove wasp nests without any harm to anyone. However, if you have a doubt, then it’s always best to schedule an appointment with a wasp removal specialist to achieve a wasp-free place safely.